Delicately fluffy and oh so moist and delicious! Hands down the best Healthy Olive Oil Banana Nut Mini Muffins!
I have had quite a few banana nut muffin recipes in my time. All quite delicious, light and fluffy and also heavy and sweet. Like most things, I prefer homemade foods where I know what ingredients are going into my body and my family’s bodies.
I recently stumbled upon making this recipe using olive oil for its health benefits and Sunflower Kernels. Some people do not like baking with olive oil for fear of the olive oil flavor in baked goods, but it blends well in these muffins. Since my husband and son are not big fans of chunky nuts and fruits in their muffins, the Sunflower Kernels were a hit! Small enough not to detect but added the perfect flavor, nutritional protein and just a bit of crunch to these muffins.
I always prefer White Spelt Flour, but you can use all-purpose flour or your favorite gluten free flour mix.
- 1⅓ cup White Spelt Flour (or All-Purpose Flour or Gluten Free Flour Mix)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 larger bananas mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 egg, whipped
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Sunflower Kernels
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whip egg. Add brown sugar, bananas, vanilla, milk, and olive oil. Mix well. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in this flour mixture into your wet mixture until well combined. Slowly fold in Sunflower Kernels.
- Using an ice cream spoon or ¼ measuring cup, scoop batter into prepared muffin tins until almost full.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until firm. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.