Dairy free strawberry ice cream made with Xylitol (low Glycemic index) is a great option if you are cutting back on refined sugars. One taste of this slushy healthy dairy free strawberry ice cream and you will probably be heading to the freezer every night (or day) until it is gone!
It is pure bliss to taste the euphoric flavors that travel from the coconuts and strawberries on a farm to the bowl in your freezer. Since there is a lot of water in the strawberries, it adds a slushy light texture. Still perfectly delicious, flavorful and healthy!
Dairy Free Strawberry Ice CreamPrint Pin Rate
- 3 cups canned light coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 cup of sugar or xylitol
- 1 cup of strawberries pureed yet chunky
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- In a large saucepan on low heat, whisk the coconut milk and maple syrup until warm. In a medium heat proof bowl mix the sugar and strawberry puree and mix until smooth, then whisk in the egg yolks. Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook the custard over low-medium heat whisking constantly for about 6 minutes until very hot and thickened. Do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and put in a glass container. Let cool.
- If not using an ice cream maker- cover container and place in the freezer. Stir about every ½ hour for 2 hours. Then freeze an additional 4-6 hours (6-8 total), until firm.
- If using an ice cream maker- skip Step 3. Freeze the ice cream in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers' directions. Transfer to a glass or plastic container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- When ready to serve let set for about 5 minutes until soft enough to handle. Garnish with unsweetened coconut flakes or nuts.
Dairy Free Strawberry Ice Cream Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Recipe total Servings 6
Calories 420 Total Fat 24.89 g Saturated Fat 22.19g Monosaturated Fat 2.03g Polysaturated Fat 0.66g Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g Fiber 0.5 g Sugar 40.7 g Protein 3.8 g Cholesterol 92.23 mg Calcium 46 mg Iron 4.1 mg Potassium 321 mg Sodium 21 mg Zinc 1 mg Thiamin 0.05 mg Riboflavin 0.18 mg Niacin 0.84 mg Vitamin B6 0.07 mg Vitamin C 16.1 mg Vitamin B12 0.17 Ug Vitamin A 126 IU Vitamin E 0.26 mg Vitamin D 0.4 Ug Vitamin K 0.5 Ug Points 10 Points Plus 12
*The nutritional values are determined by the total ingredients divided by the number of servings for each recipe. Serving sizes may vary. The formula used here for points was obtained from public sources and is an empirical match to Weight Watchers calculators, but it is not an “official” Weight Watcher’s calculator.