Mint chocolate chip ice cream made with non-fat Greek yogurt and coconut milk creamer. An almost fat free frozen dessert or snack treat! A creamy and healthier custard with a lower glycemic sugar index than most traditional ice cream recipes.
On the count of three everybody scream “ICE CREAM!!!” Ok, that was not loud enough. One more try… “ICE CREAAAAAAM!!!” Much better! I don’t know about you but I really love ice cream. I mean really, really, really love ice cream. To the point of no return. Once I start with a pint there is no stopping me from finishing off the entire container. Especially when it comes to ice cream flavors like mint chocolate chip ice cream, cookie dough, peanut butter and chocolate ice cream, to name a few.
Some nights when the hubby and I decide to actually spend quality time together and have a movie night.. there is ice cream involved. Before my husband sits down on the couch to eat his, asks if I want any and the sure answer is “no thanks, I’ll just have a bite of yours.” Well we all know where that’s going! Self-control over ice cream is hard thing. Especially chocolate chip mint ice cream! So one bite burns into another, into another, into another, into another….until dessert is finished.
This self control over frozen custard is a battle I am working on with myself. Going on fighting it for 34 years now (yes, that means my whole life). Ok, maybe I did not start having ice cream till I was about 2, so give or take a couple years there.
Now the problem with this situation is that most ice cream recipes contain lots of unnecessary ingredients like thickeners, preservatives and lots of extra sugar. The best part about homemade ice cream is that you can control the sugar and what kind you use. For this chocolate chip mint ice cream recipe I used Xylitol, which has a low glycemic index and better for your teeth. Plus store bought ice cream is high in saturated fat and cholesterol from dairy cream. So then how to make a healthier ice cream?
Are you ready? Because here comes the secret ingredient in this mint chocolate chip ice cream!
It is made with Non-fat Greek yogurt! Now we have a high protein, low fat, zero saturated fat, and light in sugar frozen treat! It is so delicious and creamy that the boys and I have been eating this for breakfast topped with lots of fresh fruit like bananas, apples, berries and pears. Why not, its yogurt!
I am obsessed with Greek yogurt. I put it in smoothies, Popsicle recipes, have it for breakfast, and put it in almost all of my baked goods. Not only are the benefits of Greek yogurt that it is high in protein, but it as acidophilus and is healthy for your gut. When you eat gut healthy foods, it helps boost the immunity and reduce stomach bloating.
So bring on the Greek yogurt chocolate chip mint ice cream!!!
- 1 cup of non-fat coconut cream (unflavored)
- 1 cup of Xylitol (sugar)
- 34 ounces of non-fat plain Greek Yogurt (I suggest FAGE brand tastes best for this recipe)
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 Tablespoon of cream of tartar
- ½ cup of mini chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan heat on medium low the coconut cream and sugar. Heat until the sugar has melted, about 3 minutes whisking continuously. Do not let it start to boil. Using an electric mixer mix the coconut cream sugar mixture, Greek yogurt, cream of tartar and peppermint on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Freeze until firm for 2-4 hours before serving. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
More Easy Ice Cream Recipes: