A satisfying fava bean salad recipe made with crunchy red cabbage, sweet corn, and fresh onions tossed in a honey and rice vinegar dressing. Use canned fava beans (also known as broad beans) for convenience or fresh seasonal fresh fava in this salad.
Why this fava bean salad works
Light and refreshing! This fava bean (also known as broad bean) salad has an Asian-Mexican twist with a combination of corn, cabbage, and rice vinegar in the dressing. The dressing is light, and the addition of sweet corn adds a sweeter taste that compliments rice vinegar and honey.
Serve this fava bean salad as a side or main dish! Fava beans are hearty in texture and have a buttery flavor that is mouthwatering. Although I have to say I never really liked the giant green colored beans as a kid (or maybe that was lima beans…hmmm?). But I do as an adult! They are packed with fiber, are meaty and filling. Serve this as a side dish or over fresh arugula or spinach leaves as a main dish vegetarian bean salad recipe. You can also enjoy the bean tossed in salt and pepper by themselves, or even served smashed on crispy toast. There are so many ways to use fava beans.
What ingredients go into this recipe
Salad ingredients – fava beans (fresh or canned), frozen or canned corn (thawed and drained), red cabbage, and red onions.
Salad dressing ingredients– rice vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, honey, salt and pepper, and fresh parsley.
How to make this salad
- First make the dressing: and combine the rice vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, and parsley in a medium size bowl. Set it aside until the beans are prepared.
- If using fresh fava beans from the pods: Rinse the beans in their pods in water then remove the fava beans from the pods. Prepare an ice-water bath then cook the fava beans in a large pot of boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer beans to the ice-water bath. Let them cool before handling and remove the thin shells off the beans. Removing the skins aids in better digestion (if you have trouble digesting beans and legumes).
- If using canned fava beans: just use 3 ½ cups of fava beans and skip the boiling step, but remove any skins from the beans.
- Make and mix the fava bean salad: Mix the fava beans and corn in with the dressing, onion, cabbage and add the corn then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Adding the sweetness of honey mixed with rice vinegar gives this salad with broad beans a fantastic punch to flavor!
Recipes you may also enjoy
If you make this fava bean salad recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Fava Bean Salad With Honey Vinaigrette Dressing
Fava Bean Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ½ cups fava beans (or 1 pound shucked fresh fava beans)
- 1 ½ cups frozen or drained canned corn I used fire roasted corn from Trader Joe’s
- ½ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red cabbage finely chopped
Make the Salad Dressing
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the olive oil, rice vinegar, honey, parsley, salt and pepper. Add thinly sliced red onion and red cabbage.
Using Fresh Fava Beans
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Rinse the beans in their pods in water then remove the fava beans from the pods and cook the beans in a large pot of boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer beans to the ice-water bath. Let them cool before handling. Remove the thin shells off the beans.
If Using Canned Beans
- Measure 3 ½ cups of canned beans, drained and skin removed. Then add to the medium size bowl in the next step.
Make The Salad
- Add the prepared fava beans and corn to the bowl with the onion, cabbage, and dressing. Toss to coat and serve chilled.
- Removing the skins aids in better digestion (if you have trouble digesting beans and legumes).