A delicious chickpea salad lightly tossed with apple cider vinaigrette dressing to bring all the flavors of garbanzo beans, sweet corn and tomatoes together in this gluten-free and dairy-free dish!
When the term salad is brought up one typically imagines a beautiful bowl of fresh lettuce leaves such as romaine lettuce, butter lettuce, spinach or arugula leaves combined with colorful vegetables and cheeses. Salads serve well as a side dish or a main dish and this chickpea salad works well for both!
We first enjoyed it for our Christmas dinner as a side dish with turkey. I now make it all the time and it is the perfect well-balanced healthy baby food for little c. His tiny fingers can easily pick it up. And there are tons of health benefits of the dressing. It is packed with good fats of olive oil and gut healthy nutrients and minerals from apple cider vinegar.
Garbanzo or chickpeas are a legume and are super high in protein. If you choose to make them from scratch, simply soak the beans in water for about 12-24 hours. Then boil rapidly for about 10 minutes and turn the heat down to simmer for 1-2 hours. If you have trouble digesting beans it is not due to the bean itself. It is the skins that are hard for some people to digest so removing them before serving is recommended.
Different recipes using Chickpea salad:
- As a side dish to compliment a main dish.
- Eat it by itself.
- Serve over fresh lettuce as a condiment to a salad.
- Serve over tacos as a salsa.
- Eaten as a healthy snack with tortilla chips.
- Serve in an avocado half.
Most commonly chickpeas are pureed into hummus but I love eating them also roasted, spiced and in my chickpea salad!
- 1 16oz. bag of frozen corn
- 1 15oz can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup green onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- On the stove top in a medium skillet add 1 tsp. olive oil and frozen corn. Heat on low until thawed and the liquid evaporates (about 5-10 minutes). Transfer corn to a large bowl. Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to the corn. Add diced green onions (white and green parts) and halved grape tomatoes. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Make The Dressing: In a small bowl whisk together the Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar. Add ¼ cup of olive oil and whisk until blended.
- Add dressing to chickpea salad right before you are ready to serve. Serve room temperature or slightly chilled.