Hi friends! I am so excited to share this recipe with you today! Because this really is THE best gluten free bread recipe! It is sooooo light like regular white bread and it does not crumble apart or taste dry!
I was looking through my blog brainstorming more gluten free breads to add and totally realized I do not even have a white bread recipe!
There are these spelt flour sweet bread rolls (gluten-free but not wheatless) and this awesome spelt flour Irish soda bread – but I forgot to add a simple loaf of bread and the pizza dough that we eat weekly! Silly me. I have been making it for months now (which you may have seen my tries on Instagram live videos) and after about 20 tries (no really I kept tweaking it with little things just to make sure it is perfect) 🙂 it is finally here!
This picture is the bread machine version. But don’t worry you can just bake it in the oven. Here is the lowdown and details of this recipe….
Tips to make gluten free bread
Gluten free bread is pretty tricky. I used to make it with just a gluten free flour mix (like Bob’s Red Mill or Cup4Cup brand) but it came out a bit dense still. I use a base recipe from Italian grandmothers authentic pizza dough and cooked it has a loaf and also used it for pizza. It was delicious, but not quite perfect.
- Add tapioca flour to gluten free flour mixes. Tapioca flour makes it super fluffy and gives it a bit of elasticity!
- Add potato starch to gluten free flour mixes along with the tapioca flour. Fluffs it up more.
- Add more eggs instead of fat (oil). When using gluten free flours the gluten is taken out, right? So most of the time store bought flours have to add salt, sugar and fat to keep the taste and texture there. Not this gluten free bread recipe! The secret is adding more eggs makes the dough less dense.
- Finally, add 1 Tablespoon xanthan gum. Xanthan gum has some controversy with people in that it is good for you or not? I do not have a problem with it and have found that making this loaf without it does make it a bit “off” and when I add it in – the recipe has the perfect consistency, bounce, moisture and fluffiness! Just like a bakery baked good made with wheat and gluten.
This gluten-free bread can be also used and turned into pizza dough! I have another pizza dough recipe that I will also be sharing in upcoming weeks along with a nut-free grain-free bread loaf I also FINALLY perfected! For pizza dough, bake it at 550 degrees F. Let a pizza stone heat for 30 minutes in the oven. After the liquid dough has risen, add more flour – enough to form into a ball to where it is easy enough to work with your hands to pat and form a crust. Bake 10 minutes, add toppings then bake another 5-10 minutes!
To make a bread loaf I highly suggest investing in a bread machine. I used to make this without one and since getting one I don’t even have to touch the ingredients, knead the dough or get my hands messy! A few months ago my sister-in-law gave me her Zojurushi Bread Machine and it has been the best gift I received all year (sorry everyone else, but if your home smelled like warm homemade bread every day like ours does, I think you’d agree this is the best gift:) ).
I have included recipe instructions for using just a bread pan and your oven (the old fashion method), and one for using a bread maker.
From our family to yours- live vibrant, eat healthy and enjoy! And please let me know any thought in the comments area or another gluten free bread recipe you would like to try! xoxo
- 2 ½ cups Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- ½ cup Tapioca Flour
- ½ cup Potato Starch
- 1 Tablespoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 ½ teaspoons pink salt
- 1 package (2¼ teaspoons) of active rise yeast
- 4 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- BREAD MACHINE INSTRUCTIONS
- If using a bread maker add all the wet ingredients first. Then add the dry ingredients except the yeast on top. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the yeast making sure it does not touch the water. Start the bread machine according to manufactures instructions.
- HANDMADE INSTRUCTIONS
- Dissolve 1 package of yeast in 1 ½ cups of warm water. Mix and let it set for about 5 minutes to activate the yeast. Add the eggs, apple cider, olive oil and honey and mix well. Next add the dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients. Add the gluten-free flour mix, tapioca flour, potato starch, salt and xanthan gum. Mix everything well until fully combined, continually folding for about 5-8 minutes. Your mixture will be slightly watery at this point.
- Cover the bowl of dough and set it in a warm spot to rise for 3 hours. After 3 hours preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bread pan, line it with parchment paper or spray it with cooking oil. Then pour the dough into the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes and slightly browned on top.
- Let the bread cool slightly before flipping it out and transferring to a cooling rack.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4 g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||4 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 47 mg||16 %|
|Sodium 181 mg||8 %|
|Potassium 18 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25 g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g||5 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 2 g||5 %|
|Vitamin A||1 %|
|Vitamin C||1 %|