Crunchy turmeric granola parfait recipe that takes turmeric recipes to a whole new delicious level!
I have fallin in love for turmeric after learning about its incredible healing powers. So I am constantly developing new ways to use it in the daily foods we eat. Most recently turmeric granola is a breakfast that the boys love to eat with almond milk in the morning! I was not sure if they would enjoy it as new foods scare them, but they were totally in awe with the yellow coloring of their breakfast!
Growing up, the only time my lips would come in contact with this golden yellow spice was in curry tossed in scrambled eggs. My mom really made the best scrambled eggs and the secret lies in the curry powder! Other than that we never really ate any Asian foods, mainly Italian or “meats and potatoes” kinda dishes that do not require the spice.
So I never learned how to use Turmeric spice or what it went with. It scared me. It stains my fingers. And it was strong, alone.
Then golden milk became a thing, and it is such a delicious, sweet and creamy drink that I fell in love! Next I started playing with turmeric in soup by adding curry to canned coconut milk for a creamy base – also amazing! Followed by adding it to yogurt and lemonade! Turmeric is an incredible spice that has is so versatile in dishes you wouldn’t normally expect!
Not to mention mixed with nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger spices and tossed with rolled oats is really something to talk about! This turmeric granola recipe is so easy to make and provides a lovely treat to eat any time of the day in less than 30 minutes!
3 Ways to eat turmeric granola:
- Granola is fabulous eaten as cereal with your favorite milk! We love vanilla almond milk, cashew milk or vanilla coconut milk.
- Serve it over yogurt and top with fruit! Or make this simple turmeric granola parfaits by layering a mason jar or cup with vanilla Greek yogurt, granola, fruit, yogurt, granola fruit! Be super adventurous and add a drizzle of honey!
- Eat it for dessert sprinkled over vanilla ice cream for a little extra crunch!
How to make homemade granola:
Start with a sheet pan! Making granola is easier than one might think and homemade granola is so much tastier than store bought! Plus there are no added preservatives and only a few simple healthy ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the gluten-free oats, flax meal and the spices.
- Add something sugary such as honey or maple syrup.
- Finally toss warm melted coconut oil over it to coat.
- Spread evenly over a baking pan then bake and stir halfway to prevent burning.
After the granola is finished baking, this is where I like to add the goodies such as nuts and dried fruit. That way it does not burn in this recipe. Dried raisins or dates are delicious in this! Use walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or a mix of Brazilian nuts and chop them up before adding them.
One you have mastered the granola recipe then the fun begins! Start layering the parfait starting with yogurt and followed by granola and fruit. Then repeat the steps!
Turmeric (curcumin) has so many fabulous healthy benefits too! Lowering blood pressure, aiding in diabetes, it promotes natural weight loss and reduces inflammation, not to mention provides glowing skin! Now who doesn’t want radiant beautiful skin?!?
I love eating turmeric any way I can get it and this turmeric granola is one way my kids will eat it too!
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 3 Tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 6 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups mixed nuts, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 - 6 oz. containers vanilla non-fat Greek yogurt
- Fresh berries such as blueberries, chopped strawberries and mint for toppings
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flax meal, salt, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cloves. Add the melted coconut oil last and mix very well until all the oats are fully coated.
- Spread the granola evenly on a baking sheet in about a ½ inch layer. Bake 40 minutes using a spatula to stir periodically so it cooks evenly and the edges do not burn.
- When done add the chopped nuts and any dried fruit and mix. Let cool. The granola gets crispier as it cools.
- In two parfait glasses or small glasses layer in each about ¼ cup granola, then 1 of the yogurt containers evenly distributed. Top with fresh blueberries and chopped strawberries. Layer again with ¼ cup granola followed by another container of yogurt evenly distributed with both. Top with freshly chopped berries and mint leaves.
- Store the extra granola in an airtight container.
Nutritional information is based of 1/4 cup of granola and the servings are 12. Fruit and yogurt add additional calories and nutritional information.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 13 g||21 %|
|Saturated Fat 4 g||22 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 169 mg||7 %|
|Potassium 25 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25 g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||16 %|
|Sugars 7 g|
|Protein 6 g||11 %|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|