Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with a chewy thick center oozing with chocolate chips. These gluten free chocolate chip cookies do not fall apart and are incredibly moist!
These are the BEST gluten free chocolate chip cookies my lips have ever tasted!
The bonus is they are gluten free and contain wholesome grains and naturally sourced protein (depending on what gluten-free flours are used).
I have to be 100% frank with you right off the bat, these chocolate chip cookies are amazing, but they do contain organic sugar and organic brown sugar. Sugars I usually do not recommend since they are harsh on the body. I like to supplement them by using Xylitol, Monkfruit, honey, maple syrup, Stevia or other natural sweeteners now-a-days in my baking. If you want a more natural cookie try my fluffier gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe and find more gluten free cookies here.
Some of my readers are specifically looking for gluten-free cookies that have the texture of flour cookies. This cookie is exactly that giant bakery style chocolate chip cookie, only without stomach bloating gluten.
Can I supplement another sugar in these cookies
I made this recipe supplementing coconut sugar for brown sugar and Xylitol for organic sugar. The answer is yes, but you will have a much different look and consistency and I have a helpful tip to do it.
Coconut sugar is more dry and brown sugar is more moist. Swapping sugar for sugar does change the chemistry in baking slightly. Also, xylitol is more dry as well so (tip #1) you might need to add a tablespoon or two or maple syrup to compensate the dry sugars when the dough is mixing together.
I have spent a lot of time perfecting gluten-baking and tried these cookies various ways. Know that if swapping out the sugars, when the cookies bake they will be more brown and the uniformity will run together more in a pancake style. Still good in flavor, just a different look and texture.
BUT…… the sugar is actually what makes these SO DELICIOUS and chewy in texture in such a decadent way. A way that I have not come across using other sugars.
For the whole batch of cookies less than 1 cup of sugar is used. Everything in moderation, so just don’t eat the whole pan- even though you may want to!
What is the best gluten free flour mix for this chocolate chip cookie recipe
My favorite is Cup4Cup and Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour, which usually turns out fantastic in baked goods. I also like to add a “fluffer” or extra light gluten free flour in addition to a premade mix such as tapioca flour or potato starch.
Also using a gluten-free premade mix from bulk at a natural grocery story is good choice and some are made with garbanzo bean flour, quinoa flours, flax meal and other natural gluten-free flours that naturally have protein. This is a great way to add healthy protein to your chocolate chip cookies.
Tips to get the chewiest gluten free chocolate chip cookie
Cookie Tip #1: The secret to the best chocolate chip cookies is to melt the butter first.
Melting the butter before mixing it with sugars makes these cookies chewy on the inside with crispier edges.
Cookie Tip #2: Scoop BIG. In the past cookies used to be in forms of teaspoon drop cookies. Now they came in large ¼ cup doses. I like baking these chocolate chip cookies in the larger dose for a chewier cookie.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop is giant heaping scoopful of the cookie batter onto a prepared parchment paper a few at a time. This batch makes about 15 large cookies.
How to save the dough for freezing
When making this batch of cookies, save some of the dough in the freezer in a large log form wrapped in parchment paper then in a freezer sealed bag. That way you can easily slice of pieces to bake as needed in smaller quantities. You can also scoop the dough out, place them on a tray and freeze them on the tray for about 1 hour. Then place the individual scoops in a freezer sealed bag (air removed). Let them thaw before baking.
Time to grab a cup of coffee, extra chocolate morsels and indulge in a decadent dessert that you totally deserve! I think Santa might totally enjoy these gluten free chocolate chip cookies this year, what do you think?
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup organic butter melted (recommended grass fed or ghee)
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt pink Himalayan salt
- 1 1/3 cup gluten-free flour mix
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 10 ounces chocolate chips milk chocolate or semi sweet
- With an electric mixer add the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar. Mix on low to combine. Add the vanilla and egg and continue to mix until the ingredients cream together.
- Slowly add the salt, baking soda, gluten-free flour mix, and potato starch and mix until it forms a dough and is well combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix. Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover. Set in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight. Setting it in the refrigerator longer produces a better cookie and makes the cookies more flavorful.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With a cookie scooper, scoop out a large amount of the dough or about 1/4 cup. Place the scooped rounded dough on the baking sheet. Repeat for more cookies adding about 6 cookies to the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat for the rest of the dough. Store in an airtight container.