Healthy leftover turkey salad recipe to use up all that delicious turkey from Thanksgiving into lunches for the week!
Let's just start this blog post off with a big HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! I decided to post a tasty leftover turkey salad sandwich recipe the night before Thanksgiving as I am waiting for my sweet potato pie to finish cooking from the oven. Our home smells INCREDIBLY festive – full of pumpkin and cinnamon spices!
Wish I could throw the flavors out there through the computer screen for you to enjoy too!
Now here is an funny story, I actually made this leftover turkey salad sandwich recipe last year after Christmas and took the photos but never posted the recipe! What the what?!!!? I came across it again as I was brainstorming thinking about what to do with all of our leftover turkey!
Let me tell you, it was a big decision as to what size turkey to get. It all depended on how much leftovers we wanted. Do you do that? I get that from my mom who is the ultimate leftover reuser (is that even a word?).
Because leftover turkey can be used in so many ways like added to soup, tossed into a turkey wreath, and turned into healthy turkey salad for sandwiches and salads!
I highly recommend using olive oil or vegan mayonnaise for turkey salad. Both have more natural ingredients without high fructose corn syrup and olive oil mayonnaise has only about 5 grams of healthy fat per serving. And turkey is one of my favorite lean means to consume because it is high in protein, low in fat and is low-GI which keeps blood sugar levels steady.
These leftover turkey sandwiches take about 10 minutes to make and are fabulously delicious!
Pin & Save This Healthy Leftover Turkey Salad Recipe
This has become a staple item for us after our Thanksgiving turkey feast and I hope it becomes yours too! Leftover turkey salad sandwiches, grilled to a crisp exterior, are a delicious use of leftover turkey meat without getting tired of the same flavors:-)!
Leftover Turkey Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 2-3 cups turkey meat cooked and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup celery diced
- ¼ cup green onion diced
- Leftover cranberry sauce
- 8 slices gluten-free sandwich bread
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter or ghee
- In a small bowl make the dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise, parsley, dry mustard and white pepper.
- Add celery and onions to the dressing. Add 2-3 cups of diced leftover turkey meat, depending on how creamy or dry you prefer the turkey salad. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste. If you like it super creamy, add more mayo to your desired texture (or Greek yogurt).
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-low heat. Butter one side of each bread slice. Add the turkey salad then another slice of buttered bread. Heat on the skillet about 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat for each sandwich and add the lettuce and optional cranberry sauce after the sandwich is cooked.
Ok, time to close down the computer so I can wake up refreshed to help the hubby get the turkey in the oven bright and early! Have a wonderful time with family and friends and Happy Thanksgiving, loves!