Healthy leftover turkey salad sandwich recipe to use up all that delicious turkey from Thanksgiving into lunches for the week!
Let’s just start this blog post off with a big HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
I decided to post a tasty leftover turkey recipe the night before Thanksgiving as I am waiting for my sweet potato pie to finish cooking from the oven. Our home smells INCREDIBLY festive – full of pumpkin and cinnamon spices!
Once again, wish I could throw the flavors out there through the computer screen for you to enjoy too!
Now here is an funny story, I actually made this leftover turkey salad sandwich recipe last year after Christmas and took the photos but never posted the recipe! What the what?!!!? I came across it again as I was brainstorming thinking about what to do with all of our leftover turkey!
Let me tell you, it was a big decision as to what size turkey to get. It all depended on how much leftovers we wanted. Do you do that? I get that from my mom who is the ultimate leftover reuser (is that even a word?).
Because leftover turkey can be used in so many ways like added to soup, tossed into a turkey wreath, and turned into healthy turkey salad for sandwiches and salads!
I highly recommend using olive oil or vegan mayonnaise for turkey salad. Both have more natural ingredients without high fructose corn syrup and olive oil mayonnaise has only about 5 grams of healthy fat per serving. And turkey is one of my favorite lean means to consume because it is high in protein, low in fat and is low-GI which keeps blood sugar levels steady.
These leftover turkey sandwiches take about 10 minutes to make and are fabulously delicious!
Ok, time to close down the computer so I can wake up refreshed to help the hubby get the turkey in the oven bright and early! Have a wonderful time with family and friends and Happy Thanksgiving, loves!
Pin & Save Healthy Leftover Turkey Salad Sandwich Recipe
- ⅓ cup of olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2-3 cups turkey meat, cooked and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup green onion, diced
- Leftover cranberry sauce
- 8 slices gluten-free sandwich bread
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter or ghee
- In a small bowl make the dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise, parsley, dry mustard and white pepper.
- Add celery and onions to the dressing. Add 2-3 cups of diced leftover turkey meat, depending on how creamy or dry you prefer the turkey salad. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-low heat. Butter one side of each bread slice. Add the turkey salad then another slice of buttered bread. Heat on the skillet about 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat for each sandwich and add the lettuce and optional cranberry sauce after the sandwich is cooked.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 19 g||29 %|
|Saturated Fat 4 g||22 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 43 mg||14 %|
|Sodium 1081 mg||45 %|
|Potassium 44 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 41 g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9 g||35 %|
|Sugars 8 g|
|Protein 11 g||21 %|
|Vitamin A||9 %|
|Vitamin C||24 %|