Homemade cranberry sauce recipe in 20 minutes that is sweet and tangy made with sweet maple syrup, orange and vanilla spices. The perfect additional side dish to a holiday feast!
Easy homemade cranberry sauce recipe
This homemade cranberry sauce is so delicious, takes little time to prepare, and is so much healthier than store bought or canned cranberry relish or sauce. We make this homemade cranberry sauce recipe every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. It is a big hit with the cranberry lovers in our house!
The flavors in this cranberry sauce recipe are slightly tart with hints of sweet orange, vanilla notes, and maple flavors. This side dish pairs perfectly with a turkey roast, nutty oven roasted brussels sprouts, gluten-free stuffing, and garlicy mashed potatoes. A must try this holiday season!
What goes into this recipe
Four simple ingredients are all that is needed to make this simple homemade cranberry sauce recipe. Cranberries, maple syrup, orange juice, and vanilla, plus add a pinch of salt to taste if desired.
How to make this recipe
Use a small pot to simmer the ingredients together and add a the fresh cranberries, orange juice, maple syrup and vanilla. Let it cook on medium high heat to boil slightly then turn the heat down to simmer to get rid of some of the liquid. At this point you will soon start the hear the cranberry's POP!
After the sauce cooks, set and cool for a bit. As the sauce sets it will start to become thicker and more gelatin-like. After it cools mash it a bit with a meat tenderizer or a potato masher to thicken it and smooth the chunks. Either serve this cranberry sauce recipe by transferring it with a slotted spoon (to remove extra fluid) to a serving bowl or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
How to serve cranberry sauce
- Y'all, this homemade cranberry sauce served over crackers, like these paleo / keto crackers, either plain or with brie cheese and a sprinkle of fresh rosemary to garnish is absolutely a phenomenal appetizer or snack! What a great dish to serve for a holiday happy hour with family and friends!
- Enjoy this cranberry recipe at your holiday feast mixed with bites of turkey.
- Use leftovers and add the sauce to leftover turkey salad sandwiches.
- Serve at your holiday feast with a turkey roast, brussels sprouts gratin, oven roasted brussels sprouts, gluten-free stuffing, creamy corn, and garlicy mashed potatoes.
RELATED CRANBERRY RECIPES
- Cranberry Smoothie Bowls – buy extra cranberries and enjoy in this sweet and satisfying smoothie!
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chunk Cranberry Bars – use any leftovers in these bars!
- Orange Cranberry Oat Cakes
- Spicy Cranberry Corn Salsa Turkey Bowl – a lovely twist using cranberry sauce mixed with corn and hot spices.
I promise you are going to love this and once you try how amazing homemade cranberry sauce is, you will never want to buy store-bought again!
If you make this homemade cranberry sauce recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- In a small sauce pan add the cranberries, orange juice, maple syrup and vanilla. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down to medium low. The cranberries will start to pop. Heat for about 10-15 minutes and add a pinch of salt to taste if desired.
- With a potato masher or meat tenderizer press down on the sauce to pop anymore cranberries. Using a slotted spoon (to remove any access water), scoop into a serving bowl or store into an airtight container for up to a week.