This gluten-free stuffing recipe will be on repeat for the holidays! It is bursting with the perfect ratio of rich flavorful herbs, carrots, celery, onion and gluten-free bread soaked in broth. The tastiest side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas!
The BEST gluten-free stuffing recipe, and it is vegan too! It is about holiday time and I couldn’t be more excited to be sharing my tried-and-true famous gluten-free stuffing recipe with you! I have been making gluten-free stuffing every holiday for the past 14+ years and this recipe never disappoints!
This stuffing recipe is one that is requested over and over again every year and it is much healthier than other recipes because it is loaded with vegetables! Serve it at your holiday feast with garlic mashed potatoes infused with sage butter, homemade cranberry sauce, pumpkin hummus, and pumpkin butter!
Why this gluten-free stuffing recipe works
It is gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, and healthy! If you want butter, you can always use that to make this extra creamy, but for this healthy version it is made with avocado oil or olive oil for sautéing. This gluten-free stuffing is also a healthy version made with loads of vegetables for the perfect carb-to-veggie ratio!
Comes together quickly - simply sauté the vegetables, mix and bake! This is really tasty and full of earthy flavors that look and taste like you have been slaving in the kitchen for hours!
What ingredients go into stuffing
The bulk of the side dish is made from a loaf of gluten-free bread, cut into cubes combined with celery, onions, carrots, apple cider vinegar, and broth tossed with lots of flavorful poultry seasonings and herbs, and a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top.
How to make stuffing from scratch
- On the stovetop then baked in the oven. First, let the bread slices air for 1 to 2 hours then cut into 1 inch cubes. Next, Sautee in oil or vegan butter the carrots, onion and celery for about 10 minutes to soften. Add in the broth, vinegar and seasoning and stir to combine. Mix in the cubed bread and coat it fulling and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake the gluten-free stuffing for 50 to 60 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Stuffed in a turkey and cooked with the turkey juices. This method is much more moist and my mothers favorite way to make stuffing! Start to make the gluten-free stuffing the same way you do the first method. Sauté the vegetables on the stove then add the broth, apple cider vinegar, seasonings, gluten-free bread and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well then add it to a turkey stuffing bag for easy removal when it is finished baking. Bake according to turkey pounds and directions.
FAQ's and Expert tips
You will want about 9 cups of 1 inch size cubes or 1 -24 ounce loaf of gluten-free bread. This is a delicious homemade gluten-free bread recipe to use for a real authentic homemade gluten-free stuffing recipe, and for convenience Udi's Gluten-Free loaf and Little Northern Bakehouse have delicious breads.
Leaving the bread out for 1 to 2 hours will dry it out which is sufficient enough time to crisp it for stuffing. The bread can also be toasted before use by cutting the loaf into 1 inch cubes and placing on a baking sheet and baking at 325 degrees F. for about 10-15 minutes.
If you make this gluten-free stuffing recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Gluten-Free Stuffing Recipe (Vegan)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil or vegan butter
- 1 loaf gluten-free bread about 24 ounces, or 9 cups when cubed
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Let the bread set out for about 1 to 2 hours to dry out. Then cut into 1 inch cubes. Or Cut into 1 inch cubes and toast in the oven at 325 for about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish (or oval dish) by spraying it with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil (or avocado oil or butter), carrots, onions, and celery. Sauté on medium-high for about 10 minutes until tender. Add 2 cups of broth, apple cider vinegar and poultry seasoning. Mix to combine and add the gluten-free bread cubes. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste, then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the top is slightly browned. Optional to drizzle a bit of olive oil or avocado oil on top right before serving and garnish with fresh parsley. Season with salt to taste.
Baked in a Turkey Method
- If you want to bake the stuffing in a turkey, skip adding it to a casserole dish. After sauteing, add the sauteed stuffing to a turkey stuffing bag. Place the bag in the turkey and bake according to the turkey directions and stuffing bag directions.
This post has been updated.
Leave a Reply