Soft and creamy pumpkin butter, a holiday favorite spread for breads simmered in one-pot for 30 minutes. Pumpkin butter has all the sweet flavors of pumpkin pie, is naturally gluten-free and made without refined sugars.
Pumpkin butter is one of those condiments that you will want to butter on almost everything this holiday! This sweet smear goes well with the essences of cranberry sauce, turkey, ham, brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, and even topped on my gluten-free pumpkin bread. I am so excited to have another pumpkin recipe on the blog with lots more holiday foods to come in the upcoming weeks!
This stuff is really, really soooooo good! You may just want to scoop and eat it by the spoonful!
A couple weeks ago my sister sent me a text with an image of pumpkin butter stating “This is so good! I have never heard of it before. Where can I buy pumpkin butter?” She lives in a small town without a Trader Joe’s, and during the holidays that is usually where I could find it. You can also find it at Williams Sonoma and some specialty grocery stores.
This healthy pumpkin butter recipe is all thanks to my sister’s suggestion?. She is always texting me ideas and I am always bouncing my ideas to here to make for the blog. I just love her for thinking of me – thanks love!
What is pumpkin butter like?
Pumpkin butter is similar to apple butter but uses a can of pumpkin puree instead of apples. In this recipe fresh apples are added for extra fall flavors and to naturally add sweetness to the paste.
Ingredients needed for this spread
- Can of pumpkin puree – the heart of the recipe! Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A and iron.
- Fresh apple – adds extra fiber, vitamin C and natural sweetness
- Lemon juice – brings out the flavors and adds a slight acidity
- Maple syrup – adds a delicious natural sweetness
- Pumpkin pie spice and ginger – gives this spread all the flavors of fall!
- Vanilla – to add a bit of depth to the flavor
When making this pumpkin recipe, first peel, slice and core the apple. Then add all the ingredients in a pot on the stove to simmer for about 20-30 minutes. This releases any extra juices and thickens the consistency. Instead of using individual pumpkin pie spices like ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and all-spice, I like to use an already mixed pumpkin pie spice to make it easier.
What can I use Pumpkin Butter for?
- Spread it on morning toast.
- Add it to a peanut butter sandwich.
- Layer it inside homemade granola bars such as these in place of jam.
- Use it anywhere you would use jelly or jam.
- Add a couple tablespoons to a latte and turn it into a pumpkin latte!
So many great uses for homemade pumpkin butter! This pumpkin butter is savory, sweet, comforting and filled with the holiday spirit! Just smelling it when it is simmering on the stove will make your taste buds go wild! It is incredibly easy to make and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 20-30 minutes to make.
More easy pumpkin recipes you might enjoy
- Pumpkin Hummus
- No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Spiced Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Squash Muffins
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 apple
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Peel the apple, remove the core and chop it into large chunks.
- In a medium size pot add the pumpkin puree, chopped apple, maple syrup, lemon juice, pumpkin pie spice, Himalayan salt, ginger and vanilla. Heat on medium-high until it starts to bubble on the sides. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes until it becomes thicker, stirring throughout. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly. Add the pumpkin butter to a food processor to blend the apples.
- Enjoy spread over breads.