You will want to makea double batch of these vegan and gluten free Christmas sugar cookies because they are quick to prepare and won’t last long in a large crowd! Colored with spinach, they are a favorite healthy holiday cookie recipe!
Christmas is in just a short couple of weeks and we are already half-way through our Christmas baking, which I have stored way in the back in the freezer (so hopefully my boys don’t see them!). These gluten-free Christmas sugar cookies are hiding back there and they are SOOOO delicious you will want to eat all the raw cookie dough before it makes it to the oven!
The problem with the holidays is all the sweets and treats that my sweet tooth can’t say no to! To fix that (and help you out too), I offer you a healthy Christmas sugar cookie that is naturally green and lean! Popeye would be so happy about these because they are colored with a secret ingredient….
Are you ready for this…..
Spinach or baby kale leaves (I tried them with both) gives these gluten-free cut out sugar cookies their beautiful color! Perfect for cutting these cookies into Christmas trees.
Using spinach is best because you don’t taste the green leaves at all, but if you have high iron or hemochromatosis then baby kale leaves are a great alternative and are lower in iron. The baby kale leaves do have a slight taste to them but I have added almond extract which compliments and masks that flavor. So if iron is not a problem- go for the spinach!
It took THREE batches of dough to perfect the recipe which is adapted from my vegan sugar cookies recipe! Big C is my “taste tester” and after the first batch he said they just take like almond flavor. I added too much almond extract.
The next batch he said he did not like it at all….not enough almond extract.
The third batch of cookies he loved and asked for more! Just the right amount of almond extract:-) Three times is a charm! He’s been asking for more of these cookies almost daily!
Top your Christmas sugar cookies with icing, sprinkles or dip in melted chocolate or enjoy them plain. I secretly love to eat these plain for breakfast with cup of coffee:-) I am getting my greens, right? And I seriouisly think healthy cookies should be a main food group for anytime of the day!
Cheers to the holidays!
PIN IT! VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE HEALTHY CHRISTMAS SUGAR COOKIES
- 1 cup spinach or baby kale leaves, packed tight
- ½ cup maple syrup + 1 Tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon apple sauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. In a blender add the spinach or baby kale, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, apple sauce and melted coconut oil. Blend until smooth with no visible green leaves. In a mixing bowl add the gluten-free flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt and mix to combine. Add the blended green mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until it forms a dough. If the dough is too sticky, set it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before rolling it out.
- Roll out the dough in between two pieces of wax paper until the dough is about ¼ inch thick. Cut out into desired cookie cutter shapes. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Let cool for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Top with your favorite icing, chocolate and cookie decorations
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 5 g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 4 g||22 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 66 mg||3 %|
|Potassium 62 mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25 g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g||3 %|
|Sugars 10 g|
|Protein 1 g||3 %|
|Vitamin A||17 %|
|Vitamin C||8 %|