These days it is hard to find time to start dinner when 4:00 or 5:00 rolls around. Nap time ends around 3:00, then we are off to some fun adventure of swim lessons, happy hour with friends, playdates, grocery shopping, etc. Some days, by the time we come home the witching hour begins and life would be much easier with a pre-made meal. I started enjoying making these quiches and pies for dinner that you can make ahead and then just reheat as soon as dinner time is near.
Lasagna recipes are another great alternative that can be made in the morning or during nap time. I like to prepare this vegetable lasagna it in the morning, bake it, let it cool and then put it in the refrigerator until it is time to reheat for dinner. To reheat it simply cook it covered in the oven at 300 degrees F for about 20-30 minutes or until the center is warm. Or prepare it ahead of time (without baking it yet) and cook fully right before dinner time.
- 1/2 package Trader Joe's No Boiling Lasagna Noodles or 1/2 package of cooked gluten-free lasagna noodles.
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 1-25 oz. jar of tomato sauce
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped basil
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pan, add olive oil, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Sautee on low/medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the mushrooms start to soften and onion becomes translucent. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl cream together ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, oregano, basil, nutmeg and milk.
- Grease a large 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread layer of tomato sauce on the bottom. Place a single layer of noodles over the tomato sauce. Then add your creamed cheese mixture, then sauteed vegetables on top. Repeat 2 more times starting with tomato sauce, then noodles, creamed cheese, vegetables. On the fourth layer of noodles, dip them first in water then top with tomato sauce and 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Rest lasagna for about 30 minutes to allow noddles to absorb liquid and flavors to set. Place in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes or until the top is brown and bubbly. If the sides seem to burn, cover with foil, and remove foil for last 5 minutes of cooking. Rest at least 20 minutes before serving.