Classic cream cheese buttercream frosting beautifully compliments any layered cake, cupcake, whoopie pies, and dessert recipe. Just like icing should be, it's light and spreadable while still holding form for creating flowering cake designs.
When it comes to frosting and icing a cake, there nothing better than a sugary creamy mountain of whipped topping that melts in your mouth.
Just like coconut buttercream icing, it quickly comes together and is our go-to recipe for most desserts.
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar (for a keto buttercream icing recipe, use Swerve powdered sugar which is sugar-free)
- vanilla extract
How to make Cream cheese buttercream frosting
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together until smooth. Slowly beat in the sugar on low speed then on high until smooth and spreadable.
If icing a cake has been tricky in the past, and you've come across globs of cake crumbs coming into the icing - don't worry we've all been there. To ice a cake, here's how to ice a cake with a spatula. It is quite simple once you have the minor details down.
For cupcakes, add the icing to a piping with a decorative top to make swirls of icing. Or use a spatula or knife and spread it like buttercream on bread.
Since there is butter and cream cheese in this icing, it needs to be stored in the refrigerator. It can be made up to 2 weeks in advance before use. Store the icing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 14 days.
Make sure when using cream cheese buttercream frosting that it is not too warm in the room. If creating peaks and cupcake designs with it you will want it to be slightly chilled for the best result.
If you make this Whipped Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below.
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- Electric Mixer
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese optional to use whipped for less fat
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 cup confectioners' sugar (for a keto buttercream icing recipe, use Swerve powdered sugar which is sugar-free)
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together until smooth. Slowly beat in the sugar on low speed then on high until smooth and spreadable.