Sweet and spicy ginger pineapple chicken! This tender slow cooker pineapple chicken freezer meal takes little effort and is great for busy lives!
I am elated to share this simple freezer meal with you today! It is a delicious chicken recipe that takes as little as 10 minutes to put together. Dinner is ready with little effort and the clean-up of dishes is almost non-existent.
Trust me, if you like things simple and foods with a sweet and spicy mix, this dish encompasses it all!
This spicy slow cooker pineapple chicken recipe is a meal that is a part of my freezer meal recipes (which I will share in the next upcoming weeks). This dish is simple to put together, and a great way to chicken meal prep for weeknights or lunches. You can remove it from the freezer and add it to the slow cooker when you need a fast meal and have no time to do any of the prep work!
Related: Slow Cooker Honey Lemon Chicken
Pineapple, Ginger, Coconut, Lime and Chicken!
The flavors of this slow cooker pineapple chicken are more of a tropic vibe with Hawaiian tastes. The kick of red pepper is balancing to the pineapple chunks, so the dish is not too sweet. It is wonderful paired with cooked brown rice on the side.
Having a husband around that is extremely picky about textures and flavors in foods makes cooking a little tricky, to say the least. At the same time it makes it very helpful for creating blog-worthy content! Normally my hubby does not like to mix sweet fruits in his meals, but this dish he raves about because the spicy and sweet combination is incredibly satisfying!
What to serve with slow cooker pineapple chicken
Serve this ginger pineapple chicken with a side of brown rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa. The extra sauce and juices are delicious drizzled on top as the soak into the grains (and flavor cauliflower rice). You can also add a salad on the side like this one or this one.
What kind of chicken works best for this recipe
Two large chicken breasts work best. If they are smaller like the organic chicken (that I like to get from Butcher Box), then you can add 4 to the bag. Chicken breasts are leaner and contain less fat, making it a healthier choice. You can also use 4-6 chicken thighs depending on the size.
Ready to get started?
How to make slow cooker pineapple, ginger, lime coconut chicken
In a freezer bag add the pineapple chunks, canned coconut cream or coconut milk, ground ginger, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, red pepper chopped, lime juice, coriander, garlic and optional cilantro. You can add the cilantro fresh at the end or incorporate it during cooking – or both! Add 2 large chicken breasts or 4 small chicken breasts.
Close the bag and seal it, removing as much air as possible. Place in the freezer until ready to use (or let it marinate overnight then use without freezing). When you are ready to eat, let the bag of chicken thaw first. This ensures even cooking for the chicken breast.
Transfer the ingredients from the bag and place it in a crock pot or slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-4 hours depending on the size of chicken. You can also shred the chicken which allows the juices to sink into the chicken, making it even more flavorful!
More healthy chicken recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- 5 Chicken Freezer Meals for Easy Meal Prep
- Slow Cooker Honey Lemon Chicken
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken Taco Chili
- 3 Fast and Delicious Chicken Meal Prep Ideas
Save to Pinterest!
Spicy Pineapple, Ginger, Coconut Lime Chicken (Slow Cooker)
- Slow Cooker
- 2 chicken breasts large, or 4 smaller regular size chicken breasts
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks (in 100% juice)
- 1/4 cup canned coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 red pepper cut into slices and seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 small handful cilantro chopped, plus more for garnish
- In a freezer bag add the pineapple chunks, canned coconut cream or coconut milk, lime juice, red pepper, ground ginger, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, coriander, garlic and optional cilantro. You can add the cilantro fresh at the end or incorporate it during cooking – or both! Add 2 large chicken breasts or 4 small chicken breasts.
- Close the bag and seal it tight, removing as much air as possible. Place in the freezer until ready to use. Or let it marinate overnight if not freezing first for a later use.
- When you are ready to eat, let the chicken thaw first. Transfer the ingredients from the bag and place it in a crock pot or slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-4 hours or until cooked through depending on the size of the chicken. Do not overcook. You can also shred the chicken which allows the juices to sink into the chicken, providing even more flavorful!
- Serve with a side of cooked rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro and extra red pepper flakes.