Healthy grilled shrimp fajitas with avocado, bell peppers, poblano pepper, onion and a drizzle of spicy salsa. This maple-glazed shrimp marinade is the best to use for all seafood dishes! Serve this with homemade salsa, tomatillo salsa verde and these low fat baked tortilla chips.
Oh my glory this is truly the tastiest shrimp fajita recipe I have ever made! It is healthy and comes together quickly with juicy shrimp. The shrimp marinade comes from a Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp recipe in my cookbook and is delicious to use for any seafood. We like to grill fajitas but they can easily be made indoors on the stove with a grilling pan or skillet.
HEALTHY GRILLED SHRIMP FAJITAS: INGREDIENTS
Shrimp is the bulk of the dish! For a quicker meal and to decrease time, purchase frozen shrimp that are deveined with tails removed. Thaw the shellfish in a dish in the refrigerator and use within 1 day of thawing. Seafood should not have a fishy odor, so if it gets to that point, that means the shrimp is starting to spoil.
SHRIMP FAJITA MARINADE
The shrimp is tossed in a slightly sweet and seasoned mixture to truly bring about mouthwatering flavors that are delicious in tacos, burritos, and fajitas. In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, oil, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, garlic salt and pepper. Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel then soak the shrimp for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
It is all about loading up the vegetables! Slice one of each red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, and poblano pepper and toss in a little bit of oil before grilling. You can also use a grill pan on the stove or iron skillet to cook them. We have made this without the poblano green pepper and my husband says “Adding that poblano is what MAKES shrimp fajitas go from good to great!”
Gather your favorite toppings! For this shrimp fajita recipe I use cilantro, avocado, a squeeze of lime juice and my special 2 ingredient spicy salsa (included with the recipe). You can also serve it with guacamole, sour cream, Greek yogurt, and shredded cabbage.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS SHRIMP FAJITA RECIPE
To make this Mexican meal fun, try serving it as a fajita bar. Set out warm corn tortillas, cooked beans, rice, guacamole, homemade salsa, tomatillo salsa verde, and these low fat baked tortilla chips. For a larger crowd, double the recipe.
More favorite Tex-Mex recipes
- Shrimp Ceviche
- Best Ceviche
- Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Quinoa
- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Southwest Sauce
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Bean Fajita Burrito Bowl
Shrimp Fajitas (Healthy Recipe)
Shrimp & Marinade
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper cored and cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper cored and cut into strips
- 1 poblano pepper cored and cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion skin removed and cut into thin slices
- salt & pepper season to taste
2-Ingredient Spicy Salsa
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Red's Hot Sauce
Extra Fixings (what you like)
- 16 corn tortillas
- cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime juice of
- 1 lemon juice of
- sour cream or Greek yogurt (not included in these images)
Marinate the Shrimp & Prep the Vegetables
- In a medium bowl, stir together the maple syrup, oil, vinegar, paprika,cumin, garlic salt, and pepper.Rinse the shrimp and pat dry with a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes but not more than 1 hour.
2-Ingredient Spicy Salsa
- In a small bowl whisk together the sour cream and hot sauce. Set aside until ready to serve and drizzle lightly over tacos.
Cook the Vegetables then Shrimp
- Meanwhile, while the shrimp marinates, prepare and slice the vegetables and chop any toppings such as cilantro and avocado.
- Preheat a gas grill or stove top to medium-high heat. Spray a grilling pan (or place in a grill basket) with cooking oil. Add the red bell peppers, green bell peppers, poblano peppers, and onion. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Cook for about 20 minutes until just tender, flipping every once in a while in the pan to prevent burning. Cover on a plate with foil and set in a warm place as you cook the shrimp.
- Turn the grill or stove heat down to medium heat. . Place the shrimp on the grill grates (or place in a grill basket) and brush with some of the marinade. Grill for 4 minutes. Brush again with the marinade and turn the shrimp over. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque. Serve immediately with a splash of fresh lemon or lime juice. Optional to serve in fajitas whole, or cut into small pieces.
Assemble the Fajitas
- Warm 16 corn tortillas (this prevents them from breaking when the are folded over. Layer two together and fill it with the peppers and onion mixture, shrimp, avocado slices, cilantro and a drizzle of the spicy salsa and fresh lime juice. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. This makes 6-8 fajitas, depending on how full you like them.