This white zucchini pizza is a beautiful composition of delicate goat cheese with summers finest zucchini squash topped on America’s favorite dish - pizza! Use a premade pizza dough to have this ready in 40 minutes or less!
Why this is the best zucchini pizza
+ it’s easy and a delicious twist on traditional pizza! – and come on, who doesn’t love pizza?! Reality is, if you make the pizza dough in advance it’s a breeze to put together and I’ll show you how! You can buy a store-bought pizza dough or use this gluten-free pizza dough recipe.
+ nightshade-free food! – this zucchini pizza is perfect for individuals who cannot have tomatoes or nightshade vegetables - many people, especially nursing moms can not have tomatoes due to an allergy or the acidic level of the fruit, making this perfect if tomatoes are not your thing these days.
+ gluten-free and wholesome way to use and eat fresh zucchini and summer squash - honestly my husband is not a huge fan of zucchini because when cooked, they can become soggy. But in this zucchini pizza recipe, the zucchini turns out nice and dry, creating a beautiful topping that is accented with fresh thyme, lemon, salt and pepper for flavor.
White pizza recipe ingredients
+ Zucchini and/or yellow summer squash - use about 1 cup of zucchini or you can do a combination of yellow and green for a variation in color.
+ Pizza dough – use this gluten-free recipe or you can also use a pre-cooked one from the grocery store that can be found in the frozen section or use a premade store-bough dough for convenience.
+ Cheese layer (white sauce) - this is made up of goat cheese, lemon juice, thyme and Parmesan cheese
+ Basting dressing - this is a combination of olive oil, salt, black pepper, and thyme that pulls brings together abundant flavors and is added on top of the pizza right before baking.
+ Optional to add zucchini flowers on top to make the zucchini pizza extra pretty! You can cook it right in or add it on top after cooking. Rinse well first though and get the inside of the flower thoroughly as insects and bugs can get trapped inside 😊.
Another beautiful addition to pizza are truffles or a drizzle of truffle oil if you have available. Try adding seasonal shaved summer truffles on top after the pizza bakes.
How to make this zucchini goat cheese pizza
STEP 1. First mix together the goat cheese, lemon and thyme - this is the tasty white spread for your pie!
STEP 2. Next make the basting dressing that goes on top before and after baking.
STEP 3. Use a premade gluten-free pizza dough and roll out the pizza dough on a pizza stone or pizza pan that is sprayed with cooking spray. For a nice thin crust, make the dough about ¼ inch thick and roll over the edges for a thick pizza pie crust.
STEP 4. With a spatula spread the goat cheese mixture over the rolled out dough.
STEP 5. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
STEP 6. Add the zucchini slices in a circular shape on top, not overlapping.
STEP 7. Baste the zucchini goat cheese pizza with the dressing. You will have plenty left over.
STEP 8. Bake the pizza until it is slightly golden and the zucchini not watery. Baste it some more right before serving with the dressing and a sprinkle of fresh thyme.
FAQS and Expert tips
Make sure the slice the zucchini to about ½ cm thin rounds. Otherwise too thick will make the pizza little moist and the dough will have trouble cooking or crisping.
To make this a 30 minute meal, use a precooked pizza dough found in the frozen section of the grocery store. Add the toppings according the directions and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and the zucchini is dry and cooked but in no way burned.
Smaller zucchini's work best that are about 2 inches diameter. That way you can more evenly fit them on the pizza.
This zucchini pizza is vegetarian but you can beef it up a bit if you'd like! My boys favorite toppings to add are bacon bits after it comes out of the oven. It adds more texture and hearty flavor. You can also add a few sliced mushrooms or slivers of red onion.
If you make this zucchini pizza recipe from DelightfulMomFood I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Zucchini Pizza Recipe
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. or as prepared pizza dough says. Spray a pizza stone with cooking spray and lightly add flour, or spray a baking pan or pizza pan with cooking spray and lightly add flour to prevent sticking.
- In a small bowl mix together the goat cheese, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme. If the goat cheese is tough to mix, microwave it for about 10 seconds to soften.
- In another bowl, add the olive oil, salt, pepper, and the remaining ½ teaspoon fresh thyme. Mix well and set aside.
- Make the pizza dough in advance or use a store bought. To make the pizza, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface reaching about ¼ inch thick for thinner crust. Transfer to the prepared pizza pan.
- Using a spatula, spread the goat cheese spread onto the dough. evenly Top with Parmesan cheese. Layer the zucchini slices in a circular pattern, not overlapping. Using a basting brush, baste the top of the pizza, including the crust with the dressing saving the rest for the end.
- Bake 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes (or as dough instructions say) and the crust is slightly golden and zucchini is dry, not moist but not burned. When the pizza is done, baste it lightly with more dressing before serving and garnish with fresh thyme.