Zucchini Goat Cheese Pizza is not something we typically ate growing up Italian. Our pizzas were drowning in fresh marinara sauce and loaded with mozzarella cheese. It is one of my favorite foods but (boo) pizza can be filled with tons of unnecessary calories! That is why I usually make our own, a fun event with Chase where he enjoys mixing the ingredients for the dough then add his favorite toppings.
Every Friday night is Pizza Night in our house. I have been trying to rid my diet from cows milk & tomatoes since my baby is having trouble with (what I think is) a food allergy. So I made a pizza with goat cheese combined with lemon and thyme to create a soft spread in place of tomato sauce. The final coat of the pizza is delicate slices of beautiful zucchini soaked in olive oil.
This also makes a great appetizer to serve into small bites!
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. or as prepared pizza dough says.
- Make dough and spray pizza stone with baking spray. Roll dough out. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix goat cheese, 1 tbsp. juice of a lemon, 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme.
- In another bowl, add 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, the other 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme. Mix well and add zucchini and combine until zucchini is coated.
- Layer your goat cheese spread onto your dough. Top with Gouda if you would like to add that cheese as well.
- Layer your cheese with Zucchini in a circular pattern. Using a basting brush, baste the top of the pizza, including crust with the left over zucchini marinade.
- Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes (or as dough instructions say). Check it halfway and if your zucchini starts to dry out, baste with more olive oil.