Cool down on a hot summer day with these zesty Greek yogurt lemon and basil popsicles. The flavor combination of lemon and basil in these healthy ice pop leaves you dancing for more!
These basil popsicles are healthy, sweet yet slightly tart, and bursting with so much flavor! A refreshing and healthy cool down treat that has only has 57 calories each!
WHY MAKE THIS RECIPE
- 5 minutes to make – if you have 5 minutes to spare then you have time to make this recipe using a blender, popsicle mold, and common ingredients that you can easily find at the grocery store
- guilt-less dessert – these healthy popsicles are made with protein and produce and a dash of non-processed sugar, plus they have less than 60 calories per serving and are fat-free!
- supports healthy digestion, boosts the immune system, promotes a healthy gut and more! –yogurt contains probiotics, making this a great source to promoting a healthy gut. Citrus fruit contains immunity boosting vitamin C, and basil is good for digestion, immunity, improving the skin, fighting depression and more, which you learn about here.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- yogurt – preferably non-fat Greek yogurt which contains good bacteria for a healthy gut and digestion. But if dairy is an issue, you can use any non-dairy yogurt in it’s place.
- lemon and zest – using both the juice from this citrus fruit and the zest provides extra flaaava!
- NATURAL sweetener – natural sugar is used for these basil popsicles and a little goes a long way. I recommend honey, but if you have a food allergy or are making this vegan you can also use maple syrup or agave syrup instead.
- basil – this green herb gives these basil and lemon popsicles so much flavor and truly compliments the lemon
- plant-based milk – or use any favorite milk you prefer. The milk helps cream the ingredients together. Make sure it is plain or original with no added sugars.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
STEP 1. Put the ingredients in a blender. For the basil, either squish it down to measure in a tablespoon or chop it lightly.
STEP 2. Blend until smooth and creamy.
STEP 3. Pour into a popsicle mold. I highly recommend this one.
STEP 4. Add the lid (if your mold uses a lid – some just have a stick and top combined) and popsicle sticks into the center of each ice pop.
FAQS and EXPERT TIPS
Sweet basil is best to use as well as lemon basil.
Fill the popsicle mold just slightly lower than the fill line. If it fills up too high, the liquid will expand during freezing and it will hard separate the tops from the stick.
Yes, you can turn these into basil lime popsicles using equal amounts of lime juice and zest in place of the lemon. Either one is equally as tasty!
If you make this Basil Lemon Popsicle recipe from DelightfulMomFood I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Basil Lemon Popsicles
- Ice pop mold
- In a high powered blender, mix the yogurt, milk, lemon juice, lemon peel, honey and basil together until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour the mixture into 6 ice pops just slightly below the tops of the mold. Put 6 wooden popsicle sticks in the center and place the lid over the popsicle molds (if yours requires that- or according to your popsicle mold).
- Freeze 6-8 hours or until firm.
- To serve, let set about 5 minutes on the counter or run under warm water for 1 minute to easily remove the popsicles from the mold. Serve right away.
This post has been updated.