Creamy mashed sweet potatoes simply melt in your mouth, especially when sprinkled with cinnamon and maple syrup. How about taking that to a whole new level creamed into this healthy sweet potato smoothie? For a vegan version, substitute Greek yogurt for vegan yogurt.
I can not believe Thanksgiving is tomorrow! A day where we are reminded to be thankful, relishing family and friends and be surrounded by an insanely large amount of food! I think this smoothie would be a perfect healthy breakfast on Thanksgiving Day before gorging oneself in a plethora of delicious meals (meals as in plural! because you know you go for seconds!). For lovely sweet potato recipes and sweet potato casserole dishes, we like to bake or roast them in the oven. This smoothie is blended to creamy perfection with nonfat Greek yogurt (for vegan: use vegan vanilla protein powder), maple syrup and chia seeds). My husband and Big C really do not care much for sweet potatoes and Little C and I love them. Lately I have been on a big sweet potato kick (like making these sweet potato biscuits) because I bought a giant bag and am trying to use them up in ways my family will eat them. I decided to add them in a smoothie to naturally “sweeten” and thicken it plus add nutrients and fiber. Sweet potato nutrition information is unreal as they are jam packed with vitamin A, vitamin B5, B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, and, due to their orange color, are high in carotenoids. They are good for heart health, controlling blood sugar (release sugar slowly in the bloodstream), controlling stress, supporting a healthy immune system and is an anti-inflammatory. Convinced yet to start eating them? And they don’t have to be drenched in brown sugar and butter to taste good!
How to bake a sweet potato:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash of your sweet potato really well. Poke a few holes into it using a fork. Wrap each one individually in aluminum foil and bake for about 50-60 minutes until tender.
Drink up and have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Cheers!
- 1 sweet potato (about 8-10 ounces)
- 1½ cups of original cashew milk or almond milk
- ½ cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt (or 1 scoop of vegan vanilla protein powder for vegan)
- 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1½ cups of ice cubes
- coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash of your sweet potato really well. Poke a few holes into it using a fork. Wrap each one individually in aluminum foil and bake for about 50-60 minutes until tender. Let cool.
- Once cooled, push out the center of the potato and discard the skin. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.