Tantalize your taste buds with these tasty Caramel Chocolate Oat Squares!
Chances are by the time I am sitting down writing about how decadent and intensely fudgy these are, the Caramel Chocolate Oat Squares will be gone! It is a creation of almonds, melted chocolate and chewy caramel sandwiched between two layers of sweet granola cookie base. They are better when warmed slightly—but it’s hard to wait that long to take a bite!
When my brother, sister and I were kids we just loved coming home from school to the warm smells of moms sweet homemade chocolate chip cookies! The aromas of chocolate and melted butter filled the air only to be satisfied by a taste on the lips. The inspiration from these Caramel Chocolate Oat Squares came from just that; our family’s love for mouth-watering chewy chocolaty desserts! I wanted to make a lighter, healthier chocolate treat though, closer to a dessert that just a small piece usually satisfies even a real sweet tooth.
The creaminess is derived from melted caramel and coconut milk and oil. Coconut milk is full of nutrition, including vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6. It is also packed with minerals, such as calcium and selenium. Also, consuming coconut oil regularly can help lower your cholesterol and balance cholesterol levels. And that is just the bonus of replacing butter for oil in Caramel Chocolate Oat Squares! Enjoy as a breakfast, snack or dessert!
*For gluten free make sure to use gluten free oats and gluten free oat flour.
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- 1¼ cup quick cook oats
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 4 oz. caramel
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, oats, baking soda and salt. In a smaller bowl combine coconut oil, brown sugar, coconut milk. Add your wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine well.
- Set a third of the mixture aside for topping. Press remaining mixture onto the bottom of a prepared 8-inch square baking dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 until the crust is raised and set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle almond slivers evenly to coat. Add chocolate chips evenly to coat. Spread caramel all over.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press lightly to coat with fingers or the back of a spoon. Bake 15 minutes until slightly brown and caramel is bubbly. Cool before cutting.
Caramel Chocolate Oat Squares Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Recipe total Servings 16
Calories 261 Total Fat 11.97 g Saturated Fat 8.54g Monosaturated Fat 2.59g Polysaturated Fat 0.84g Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g Fiber 2.1 g Sugar 18.7 g Protein 3.9 g Cholesterol 2.3 mg Calcium 52 mg Iron 0.77 mg Potassium 142 mg Sodium 103 mg Zinc 0.4 mg Thiamin 0.04 mg Riboflavin 0.08 mg Niacin 0.2 mg Vitamin B6 0.02 mg Vitamin B12 0.08 Ug Vitamin A 18 IU Vitamin E 0.86 mg Vitamin K 0.6 Ug Points 6 Points Plus 7