A flavorful Gluten Free Meal Plan that will help you revolutionize dinner time! A list of 7 weeknight meals that are quick, easy, healthy and delicious!
One of the hardest misconceptions about a gluten-free diet is that everything tastes gross and there is nothing to ever eat that satisfies. When I first started eating gluten-free it was hard. Really hard.
See, I lived off bagels and avocados slathered on big fluffy slices of bread. I am originally a Jersey girl, so a NY bagel and Philadelphia pretzel is something I could never pass up. I grew up on Italian pasta and big fluffy Jersey subs. Breads and their gluten satisfied my mood and helped me feel “happy”.
Until I found out it was hurting my body by altering my hormones and insulin levels from gluten and white sugars. That leads to weight gain, acne, infertility, depression and anxiety. A path I choose to live less traveled😊.
You are probably thinking you have tried or are currently on a gluten free diet and are bored with gluten-free foods. Worn out from trying to figure out meals because gluten-free pasta noodles do not taste right, breads taste stale or too airy, and gluten free meals are just hard for the family to enjoy. Trust, me I have heard it all.
I'll be honest, my kids would much rather have a bowl of regular mac and cheese, but guess what?
After a while. After clearing your body of gluten. It craves it less, and less. If my kids do not have the other, they eat (and love) our gluten-free homemade mac and cheese! And the hubs and I adore this rich and creamy skillet goat cheese mac and cheese!
Gluten-free dinners can be delicious, and a gluten free meal plan will help save you on the stress of figuring out what to make! A great place to get started with ingredients is with Thrive Market , Prime Pantry and Amazon Fresh to order ingredients like gluten-free flours and pasta sauce. It can be done right from the comfort of your home. Takes the stress out of heading to the store and makes planing what you are going to make for meals a breeze! Use this coupon link to get an extra 25% OFF your first order + a 30 day free trial membership when you sign up at Thrive Market! (Valid on orders $49+, max $20 discount).
Before we start on the recipes, lets talk gluten…
What is gluten?
Gluten is a protein found in all sorts of grains: wheat, barley, rye. A gluten-free diet aims to eliminate all the gluten from those grains and foods derived from them. This means bread, pasta and pastries have to be made with gluten-free flour. Even sauces, salad dressings, soups or candy can ambush the unaware eater with doses of gluten.
Symptoms related to gluten vary from case to case but many experience some form of digestive distress as well as malabsorption of crucial vitamins and minerals. In the case of celiac disease, the consumption of gluten damages the villi – small protrusions within the small intestine responsible for the absorption of vital nutrients which can lead to severe nutritional deficiencies. In addition, the consumption of gluten is also thought to aggravate leaky gut. A condition whereby the gut is weakened and larger food molecules are passed directly into the blood stream causing an array of uncomfortable symptoms common in gluten related disorders.
Here are 7 delicious gluten-free recipes to help keep leaky gut away from you so you can living a more vibrant life! There are 7 so you can make them everyday, or mix and match for the weeknights!
Gluten Free Meal Plan: 7 Flavorful Weeknight Dinners
If you like a hearty meatball then you will love this lower carb open faced meatball sandwich recipe! It is a quick and easy weeknight dinner ready in as little as 20 minutes and makes dinners a breeze!
Vegetarian burrito bowl ready with zesty Mexican flavors in less than 30 minutes! It is the ultimate gluten-free healthy fajita burrito bowl layered with sautéed peppers and onions over warm rice and beans!
Healthy Mac and Cheese with a rich and creamy yogurt and Gruyère cheese sauce! Gluten-free quinoa elbow noodles make this macaroni dish naturally rich in iron and protein. A kid favorite recipe ready in under 30 minutes!
Vegetable soup is healthy and ready in less than 30 minutes! Using organic frozen vegetables in this easy vegetable soup recipe means less dishes and more time!
Sheet pan sausage and vegetables are an easy weeknight dinner you will want to keep it on repeat! Loaded with slices of chicken sausage and chunks of potatoes, carrots, green peppers and a savory marinade to crisp the veggies into mouthwatering perfection!
The BEST restaurant-style gluten free pizza crust recipe with a crispy bottom and fluffy authentic Italian pizza dough without the gluten!
Barbecue chicken stuffed spaghetti squash boats are so easy to make, especially if you cook the shredded chicken in the slow cooker! It is a delicious light and hearty gluten-free spaghetti squash recipe you can feel lean about eating!
Open Faced Meatball Sandwich Recipe
- 26 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 bag frozen meatballs (about 4-5 small meatballs per bread slice) or (2-3 medium size meatballs per slice)
- 8 slices gluten-free bread
- 1 cup shredded cheese (use less or more depending on how much you like)
- fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat the meatballs and marinara sauce in a large sauce pan. Cover and heat on medium-high for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- While the sauce and meatballs are heating, toast the bread in a toaster to slightly brown. Add each slice of toasted bread to the prepared baking sheet.
- When the meatballs and sauce are finished heating, top each slice of bread with desired amounts of meatballs and sauce. Sprinkle your desired amount of cheese on top of each open faced sandwich. Bake for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh parsley and optional Parmesan cheese.
- Best eaten with a fork and knife:-).
Vegetarian Fajita Burrito Bowl
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers or 1 red and 1 green
- 1 onion
- 3 green onion stalks diced
- Cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper
- Cook the rice according to instructions, usually about 20 minutes covered.
- Drain and rinse the beans and gently heat in a small saucepan.
Prepare the vegetables
- Slice off the ends of the red bell peppers. Remove the seeds inside and rinse off too get any extra seeds out. Slice into thin slices lengthwise.
- Slice off the top of the onion and peel away the skin. Cut in half for a large onion then into thin slices. If the onion is smaller you can cut it into thin rings without halving it first.
- In a large sautee pan add the olive oil, red bell peppers and onions. Turn the heat to medium high and heat for 10 minutes until the onions become translucent and mixing throughout the cooking process so it cooks evenly and does not burn. If it starts to burn turn the heat down slightly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the onions and rice cook chop the rest of the ingredients: green onions, cilantro, avocado and slice the lemons into wedges or rings.
- When the rice and peppers are finished cooking assemble a large serving bowl or plate with half of the rice on one side and the beans on the other side. Top in the center with the cooked peppers and onions. Garnish with green onions, fresh cilantro, avocado and a splash of lime. Add salsa or any other toppings of choice. Add any salt and pepper to taste.
Healthy Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounce box Tresomega Nutrition Quinoa Elbows Pasta
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup milk coconut milk optional
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- pink Himalayan salt to taste
- Cook the noodles according to the box directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the water for use in the sauce if needed. Drain and rinse the cooked noodles then transfer them back to the pot.
- Pour the cheese and milk over the noodles and mix until the cheese is melted. Turn the heat to low to help the cheese melt. Add the Greek yogurt and a bit of the reserved water if needed. Add salt to taste.
Hearty Vegetable Soup
- 26 ounce can diced tomatoes can or box
- 16 ounce bag mixed vegetables green beans, corn, peas, carrots
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth less for chunkier soup
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 lemon juice of
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 Bay leaf whole
- In a large saucepan all of the ingredients. Cover and turn the heat to high until the edges of the soup start to bubble. When they start to bubble turn the heat down to medium and cook covered or about 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Sheet Pan Sausage And Vegetables
- 4 red potatoes large
- 16 ounces smoked sausage not ground (I prefer turkey or chicken sausage)
- 2 green bell peppers or 4 hatch green chili peppers use hatch for a spicy dish
- 4 large carrots
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon basil dry
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dry
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and prepare the vegetables: Peel the carrots and slice them and the sausage into thick circles. Slice the peppers into 1" squares and the red potatoes into 1/2" cubes.
- Make the marinade or dressing: in a small bowl add the olive oil, basil, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and pink salt. Mix well.
- Spread the prepared sausage and vegetables on the sheet pan. Pour the marinade on top. Using your hands toss to coat them. Spread the sausage and vegetables evenly (not overlapping) on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flip everything and bake another 15-20 minutes until slightly browned but not burned.
Restaurant-Style Gluten Free Pizza Crust Recipe
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 2/3 cup milk powder for dairy-free use almond meal
- ½ cup potato starch
- 1 tablespoon Xanthan gum or 2 Tablespoons psyllium husk
- 2 teaspoons pink salt
- 1 package of active rise yeast
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Dissolve 1 package of yeast in warm water and 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup. Mix and let it set for about 5 minutes to activate the yeast and set aside.
- In a small bowl add the eggs, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup and set aside.
- In a large bowl add 2 cups of gluten-free flour, arrowroot flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, coconut milk powder (or egg white powder or almond meal) and salt and mix to combine. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg mixture and yeast mixture. With a spatula mix to combine. The mixture will be slightly wet and sticky. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and set aside for 3 hours to rise. After 3 hours have parchment paper ready to knead the dough.
- Sprinkle gluten-free flour on top of parchment paper (so it does not stick). Place the dough on top (flour prevents sticking so use as much as needed) knead the dough for 8-10 minutes adding more flour as needed. Split dough into two (this makes two pizza's).
Form the crust with fingers to flatten into ¼-inch crust, or roll out into 1/4 -inch crust. Roll over the edges to form the fluffy crust. Get another piece of parchment paper and repeat with the other half of dough to make another crust.
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees F. Add a pizza stone or baking sheet to the
oven to heat for 30 minutes. Transfer the parchment paper with rolled out dough
to the heated pizza stone or baking pan. Add marinara sauce, cheese and extra
toppings and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the crust is slightly
*Makes 2 Pizzas that serve 8 slices each.
Barbecue Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cup barbecue sauce separated (or my smoky gluten free bbq sauce recipe)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup cheese shredded (optional to use shredded dairy-free cheese)
- 1/4 cup red onions sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup orange bell peppers diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, for garnish
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker with 1 cup of barbecue sauce on top. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 2-4 hours. Shred the chicken using two forks.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds in the center with a spoon. Add a drizzle of olive oil and flip the halves upside down on a baking pan. Add a splash of water to the bottom of the pan. Bake for 45 or until it is soft when poked with a fork. When it is finished cooking, let it cool enough to handle. Scrape the sides with a fork to fluff the noodles.
- Add ¼ cup of cheese to each boat, then divide the shredded chicken to each boat. Sprinkle 1 cup of barbecue sauce on top followed by the cheese, onions, peppers.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes to cook the onions and crisp the top slightly. Garnish with the remaining ¼ cup barbecue sauce and cilantro.