A healthier and delicious broccoli potato soup made with a creamy broth of milk and gouda cheese. Cumin and paprika complements the nutty, bitter flavors of broccoli in this soup.
Big thumbs up to this delicious broccoli and potato soup that has the perfect composition of cheese while still remaining a bit on the healthier side than other creamy soups. It has superb flavor with earthy chunks of potatoes and broccoli, and finished off with melted gouda cheese!
Why this broccoli potato soup recipe works
Nutritional, hearty, packed with vegetables, and it is vegetarian! – this creamy broccoli and potato soup recipe is a healthier version and packed with vegetables and plant derived calcium, potassium, and fiber. Certain foods help the body the burn more fat than it takes to consume. Anything in the cabbage family does just that for your body. So it is important if you are trying to loose weight or enhance bone strength to consume celery, broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. To make this soup lighter, leave out the cheese (although it won't be as good!). Cheese adds all the flavor and an addition of protein to the soup.
Contains anti-cancer properties and boosts health – Research shows that produce has a buffering effect on cancer. A review of the highest-quality studies, undertaken by a panel of experts under the auspices of the World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research, found in 2007 that nonstarchy vegetables, such as broccoli, help protect against cancers of the mouth, larynx, pharynx, esophagus and stomach. [source]
Comforting for colder months– The weather around Santa Barbara County has been starting to get chilly. Not as cold as the Midwest snowstorms, but cold for us California peps (anything below 50 degrees)! When it is the cooler months, all I want to eat is soup! Just a giant bowl of warm comforting hearty soup. I also love soup due to the fact that soup can be made with any ingredients sitting in your kitchen. This savory broccoli potato soup recipe takes little effort (and dishes used!) to put together.
What ingredients go into this soup
Here is what you need to make this creamy cheesy broccoli potato soup:
- oil for sautéing the vegetables before simmering
- broth– chicken or vegetable broth
- milk or cream – you can also use cashew milk, canned coconut milk, or almond milk. I think the creamier milks taste best such as canned coconut milk but if you do not like coconut flavor use cream or full fat milk. P.S. everything in moderation. I usually am not a fan of using cow milk but a little every once in a while is our motto around here:-).
- vegetables – garlic, onion, broccoli florets, red or Yukon gold potatoes, and carrots
- seasonings – cumin, paprika, bay leaf, fresh parsley (for garnish), salt and pepper to taste
- gouda cheese – a yummy cheese such as gouda adds so much depth and flavor to this broccoli potato soup
How to make this broccoli soup recipe from scratch
STEP 1: Start by chopping all the vegetables and have them ready to sauté. Dice into small pieces the onion, carrots, and mince the garlic. Cut off the stems of the broccoli so you are only using the fleurets.
STEP 2: Sauté in oil the prepared broccoli, carrots, onion, and garlic for about 7 minutes on medium-high heat until the onions are lightly translucent in color.
STEP 3: Add the potatoes, broth, cumin, paprika, and bay leaf and cover and cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
STEP 4: Turn the heat down to low. Pour in the milk and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and warmed through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently mash the soup with a potato masher to thicken it and break up the potatoes. Garnish with fresh parsley before serving (and extra cheese!).
FAQs and Expert Tips
Yes you can freeze broccoli soup. To do so, store in a freezer sealed bag or airtight container for up to 1 month. When ready to serve the soup, let it thaw first, then heat it on the stove until warm.
Cheese is the best way to flavor broccoli and/or potato soup, and I highly suggest fresh gouda or sharp cheddar cheese. This soup is also extra savory to add cooked bacon crumbles for extra taste!
Time to pick up a spoon and help yourself to a flavorful bowl of broccoli potato soup!
If you make this creamy broccoli potato soup recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don't forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Broccoli Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets broken into small pieces
- 1 cup carrots chopped (rainbow carrots are fine)
- 1 medium onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes or 8 smaller red potatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces gouda cheese shredded
- 2 cups whole milk or canned coconut milk for avoiding harsh lactose (although it will have a slight coconut flavor)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Dice into small pieces the onion, carrots, and mince the garlic. Cut off the stems of the broccoli so you are only using the fleurets.
- In large saucepan, heat the oil on medium-high heat and add the prepared broccoli, carrots, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 7 minutes until the onions are lightly translucent in color.
- Add the potatoes, broth, cumin, paprika, and bay leaf and cover and cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Turn the heat to low and pour in the milk and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and warmed through, about 5 minutes. Gently mash the soup with a potato masher to thicken it and break up the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley before serving (and extra cheese!).
This is a previous post that has been updated with better content, recipe development, and photos.