How to heat treat flour in the microwave, oven, or stove for raw and edible cookie dough and no-bake recipes. The process is super quick and easy! Heat treat flour removes bacteria that can cause foodborne illness from raw flour.
What is heat treated flour
Heat treated flour is when you heat the flour before using it in no-bake bars, energy balls, edible cookie dough, and other recipes that call for flour that is not cooked. If you are wondering is it safe to eat raw flour- cooking flour before use in no-bake recipes ensures there are not harmful bacteria in the flour that causes sickness.
You can use any type of flour such as all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or gluten-free flours for these techniques.
How to heat treat flour
How to heat treat flour so it is safe to eat? Here are a few methods – in the microwave, on the stove, or baking in the oven. The key is to heat the flour to at least 165 degrees F.
To be perfectly honest, I usually do not always heat treat my flour in my no-bake goodies but that doesn’t mean there is not a risk for bacteria. If you prefer to consume flour that you know is totally safe, then use these heat treat methods before using it.
This makes 2 cups of heat treated flour. Heat treat the flour then store in an airtight container until ready to use in your favorite recipes that call for raw flour.
How to heat treat flour in the microwave
Cook flour in the microwave in small batches. Wondering the fastest method on how to heat treat flour and without an oven- the microwave! The microwave is your best bet for speed, but do it in small batches, about 1 cup at a time. Cook in the microwave 1 cup at a time the dry flour in 30-second intervals. Mix in-between to ensure all parts get cooked and heat until it reaches the right temperature (try a food thermometer).
How to heat treat flour on the stove
Heating flour on the stove is a method I do not recommend. Stove top heat varies, especially if dealing with electrical or gas and the flour can quickly burn since the heat source is only coming from the bottom of the pan.
Heat treat flour in the oven
Bake on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line with parchment paper. Sprinkle two cups of flour on a rimmed baking sheet. Using your hands or a spoon, spread the flour evenly in a thin layer. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from oven then mix it around with a spoon and spread evenly and let it cool completely before using. Sift the flour through a fine mesh sieve before using storing. Store your cooked flour in an airtight container until ready to use.
Tips for success
Here are the best tips for heating flour to ensure success.
- Sift the flour. After heat-treating, be sure to sift any heat treated flour through a fine mesh sieve because the flour clumps when it is heated which can effect recipes.
- Use a baking sheet with a rim and line it with parchment paper. This prevents the flour from going everywhere and helps to easily remove the flour from the base of the pan. It also helps it not to burn – which brings us to our next thought.
- Do not overbake. I can not say this enough- because nobody likes a burnt tasting piece of food. Do not overbake the flour or it will have a “toasted” or “burnt” taste and alter the flavor tremendously.
- Make a batch and have it ready in advance. Make this ahead of time and have it ready for when you need it!
Is it safe to bake with raw flour?
Baking with raw flour is completely safe as it heats in the oven when used in cookies, cakes, muffins, soup, casseroles, and other baked goods. But what happens if you don’t heat treat flour? Bacteria can get into the flour and therefore in your body when consumed. When using flour in raw no bake goodies, you will want to heat treat it in advance to ensure no foodborne illness and bacteria is in the flour.
Use this method in these healthy no-bake goodies
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- No-Bake Protein Balls
- Easy Energy Balls
- No-Bake Coconut Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites
- Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Related Recipes to enjoy
If you enjoy this article on heat treating flour from Delightful Mom Food I would love to hear your thoughts! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to leave a comment below.
How To Heat Treat Flour
- 2 cups flour
Heat Treat in the Microwave
- Cook flour in the microwave in small batches. Cook in the microwave 1 cup at a time the dry flour in 30-second intervals. Mix in-between to ensure all parts get cooked and heat until it reaches the right temperature.
Heat Treat in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line with parchment paper. Sprinkle two cups of flour on a rimmed baking sheet. Using your hands or a spoon, spread the flour evenly in a thin layer. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from oven then mix it around with a spoon and spread evenly and let it cool completely before using. Sift the flour through a fine mesh sieve before using storing to remove any clumps. Store your cooked flour in an airtight container until ready to use.