Low fat jam filled butter cookies using a combination of half butter and half Greek yogurt for a healthier choice!
These are another one of my holiday “test” run cookies. They are basically the same dough as these Fig Pinwheels. Only I swapped out the honey for confectioners sugar to make the dough harder and the butter flavor more compact. The filling in these low fat jam filled butter cookies can be whatever flavor jam you want! This is made with strawberry jam filling since my husband loves strawberry flavors and it pairs so well with the hint of orange zest in the dough!
Low Fat Jam Filled Butter Cookies
- 3 ¼ cups gluten-free flour mix or all purpose flour
- 11 oz. jar of Strawberry Jam about
- 1 ½ cups of confectioners sugar + 1 tablespoon
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt I used 0%
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- Cookie cutters- same shape two sizes
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter & Greek yogurt with an electric mixer on medium for about 30 seconds. Add 1 ½ cups of confectioners sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat to combine. Add eggs and orange peel. Beat to combine all. Add flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Cover and chill dough for about 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough about ¼ inch thick. Using your larger cookie cutter, cut out as many shapes as you can. Using the smaller cookie cutter, cut out the center of half of your batch for the tops of your cookies.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 10-12 minutes for the large shapes and 7 minutes for the tops/cut out parts and the small shapes. Cool on the cookie sheet for about 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of strawberry jam on your large cookie, place cut out cookie on top. Sprinkle with remaining confectioners sugar.