This is by far the best Apple Pie filling I have ever tasted! And using Stevia drops makes it a healthier choice if you are watching your sugar intake.
Apples are almost in season right now (August-November) so we decided to go apple picking. The farm we visited has about 2 weeks left until the apples are ripe, but we did find a few that were ready to be picked and baked!
We made a large batch of this apple pie filling and made mini pies. Half was later pureed for apple sauce and later used as filling in these homemade apple pie pop-tarts.
Best Apple Pie Filling
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of turbino sugar or coconut sugar
- 25 drops of liquid Stevia or omit if using 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 5 small Granny Smith apples cored, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or if you do not have cornstarch you can use 1/3 cup of sifted flour adding slowly
- In a large saucepan combine all ingredients except vanilla and apples. Stir over medium-low heat until thickens (about 2 minutes), constantly stirring. Add apples and vanilla and simmer on low about 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve.
- For pie, add to pie dish and cover with a pastry top. Bake according to pastry top directions.